Re: Philodendron selloum - cultivated origin

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum - cultivated origin
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:45:32 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for the info...what I'm really looking for is WHO or WHERE did the
cultivated plants originate?  Who was the first to introduce it to the mass
market?  Julius' comment about the variations is on target and I'll look
into that...I'm curious about stock plants of this philodendron, where? who?
which? how long ago?

It's an odd thing, working in the commercial end of plants...trying to find
the original source of a plant available on the market, determining if that
name actually is the plant being offered under that name, and then verifying
the plant we receive is, again, the name and the plant of what we wanted.
It continually amazes me that plants can be introduced to the mass market
without nomenclatural verification and/or plant identification verification.
Of course there are companies that do make attempts and of course there are
companies that just don't care or don't have the time or money to do that,
but I think most companies just assume someone else has done that work.

By the way, Philodendron bipinnatifidum (selloum) is growing outside in Zone