Anchomanes germination

  • Subject: Anchomanes germination
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:42:17 -0600 (CST)

I received Anchomanes giganteum seed from a list member earlier in the year.
It was sent in a plasticine envelope and didn't appear to have berry about it.
I planted the seeds, just in regular potting soil.  After some months, I
explored to see what was happening.

A root system had developed, and the seed appeared to have grown.  Finally,
in August, the shoots emerged and have been happily photosynthesizing since.
This was about 5 months after the seed was potted up.  I wouldn't call it
gigantic yet--still the same leaves about 6" high--but it seems fairly
happy on its windowsill.  I've just moved it to the greenroom to protect it
from possible drafts at the window and to provide better light.  It has lots
more company too, for what that is worth to a plant...

Two seeds of Anchomanes dalzielii arrived in fine shape last week and were
promptly potted up in my greenroom.  Thanks to Wilbert and to Alan for
their efforts in this distribution.

Holiday happiness to all,
Al
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|genealogy homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |