"Arum trilobatum"???

  • Subject: "Arum trilobatum"???
  • From: Ellen Hornig <hornig@Oswego.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:22:00 -0600 (CST)

Hello, all.  I need some help here, being woefully ignorant of the
tropical
aroids.  I bought an old Curtis print on eBay (#339, dated 1796) depicting
"Arum trilobatum" (Arisarum amboynicum is given as a synonym).  The plant
is described as native to Amboyna (???) as well as Ceylon. Do these names
ring a bell with anyone?  The text accompanting the print does not give
dimensions, but indicates the leaf is more sagittate than otherwise (the
lobes are fairly prominent, hence the specific epithet), and
describes the plant thus: "It is one of the least of the
tribe....distinguished by the rich, brown, velvety appearance of its
flowers; the length of its tapering spadix, which on its lower part is
full of little cavities, and resembles a piece of metal corroded by long
exposure; and by the intolerable stench which the whole of the flower, but
more especially the spadix, sends forth."  The picture shows the spathe to
be bent back towards the ground somewhat, and the spadix to be - um -
heartily erect.  I can e-mail a scan to anyone who thinks they can be helpful.

If, BTW, anyone collects old plates of tropical aroids, feel free to get
in touch (PRIVATELY)...it could be arranged.  My own interests lie with
the hardy ones.

Thanks in advance,
Ellen
Ellen Hornig