Re: Off topic question, Dioscorea sp.!

  • Subject: Re: Off topic question, Dioscorea sp.!
  • From: <mburack@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:12:46 -0600 (CST)

Julius-

Are you sure they are still a pest/weed here.  I have heard that they have been removed in mass from almost everywhere.... I have looked many times to find it, and been unsuccessful…

Maybe I have seen it and not known that it was it was?

Is there anything about it more distinguishing than the leaves?  A lot of “viny” things make that leaf that looks like Dioscorea but I have never seen the “aerial tubers”??

Any thoughts?

Marc

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Dear Friends,

This concerns the plant family Dioscoria, the true yams.  This family has
been considered as possibly being one of the relatives of the Araceae.
My question is---does anyone know FOR SURE if the species that grows as a
pest/weed here in S. and Cen. Florida, commonly called 'air potatoes', is
edible??  I have heard/read two versions, one is that it IS edible, and was
used as food by the Indians and early settlers, another says it is inedible
and mildly poisonous even when cooked.   If it is edible, can both the
underground tubers AND the large tubers (the 'air potatoes') that are
produced above ground on the vine also be cooked and eaten??

Thanks, and have a Happy New Year!

Julius