The Spathe

  • Subject: The Spathe
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:36:12 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

We know the aroid spathe is unique in the plant kingdom, although there are possible precursors in the subtending bracts of certain Cyclanthaceae and Arecaceae, indeed a number of monocot taxa.  But, I have been thinking lately about whether there are analogous or precursory structures in the dicots: the genera Davidia and Tilia come to mind.  Both these genera have bracts subtending the inflorescence, which differ greatly from the leaves; and in Davidia, these are the showy part of the inflorescence.  The question is, can these bracts be in any way compared with the aroid spathe?

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large