[aroid-l] Help request for two aroids!

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Help request for two aroids!
  • From: snalice@cnmnetwork.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:10:55 -0800

I have a question for anyone on the list who can help me.  I have received A. yunnanensis and Ach. dalzielii
(which I can't pronounce....dal-zie-lee-eye?) seeds from Wilbert Hetterscheid (You've been very kind to me. Thank
you Wilbert.).  I have tried warm/humid varieties of Amorphophallus several times and have rather failed.  If
there is anyone out there who can tell me how to treat the seed from the beginning I would appreciate any help.
I have temporarily put the seed groups in almost damp sphagnum moss and inside a zip lock until I can determine
the proper thing to do.  I washed the seeds with water, then placed them in the bag.  I don't have warm, humid
conditions and so I will have to create them.  I'm wondering if both of these plants are from this type of
climate.  I don't know if I can access the archives, but I have tried this before and I'm TERRIBLE at finding
anything in there.  If anyone could walk me through some preparation and planting/growing steps for these two
plants I would really appreciate it.  I am also wondering if anyone has tried Hydrogen Peroxide as a fungicide.
I have instructions from a bottle of 35% Peroxide that recommends soaking seed overnight in 3% Peroxide added to
one pint water.  Has anyone tried this?  I think the biggest problem with these seed varities for me has been
fungus at the germination level.

Thank you for any help!
Susan Cox