[aroid-l] Hybrid work paying off

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Hybrid work paying off
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:39:23 -0500

Many people know of my interest in hybrids. I am extremely excited about the new batch I am working on. I enjoy working with the alocasias due to how things have gone so far. Though I am trying many things all at once. It seems not a flower does not get looked at or pollen added to it in my greenhouse or landscape. I have been doing well to keep records strait though I have to admit I am sometimes over my own head. At the moment I have Two bananas that I have crossed producing seed which is a first for me. I can understand why it is not done more often due to the ladder being needed.
As for the alocasias I am trying most everything with Macrorrhiza and things are going great. I was asked why make these hybrids a few times and my answer is why not? I make these for myself here in KY I cannot grow colorful alocasias in the ground due to how sensitive they are. I have also have a problem small alocasias I want huge alice in wonder land things growing sure the small ones have their place but usually under the larger ones. So if things go as I hope in the next couple of years you might start seeing giant colorful alocasias. Here are something's I am shooting for and might already have coming along. Giant velvet leaves or plants with colorful veins growing to 5ft and up. With the help of some friends getting me mature plants and finding pollen we can hope to find in the future some very interesting things to come about.
I have to just say it is amazing to dream about a certain plant and what you wish could exist, and then actually having the ability to make what you dream become reality.