Re: [aroid-l] Obsolete & hardy typhonium

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Obsolete & hardy typhonium
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid (prive)" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 06:52:44 +0100

Dear Jim,

So, you have a Chinese species that was labelled "T. divaricatum"? Are you
QUITE sure it wasn't T. diversiFOLIUM? I know that Chen Yi offered it this
season! THAT one may indeed prove to be hardy. I doubt that T. blumei can be
found in China (I doubt it VERY much) and the same goes for T. roxburghii.
The latter BTW is a good species in its own right. Why don't you look at the
pictures on the IAS website, where the difference beteen the two is very
well presented in pics. Did you look at those pics already? That's what they

T. horsfieldii may have clones that are hardy, especially those from China
known as T. kunmingense etc. Clones from warmer areas will probably not be
hardy. This species comes in a bewildering variety of sizes and colours and
especially the ones from the region N. Vietnam - N. Thailand can get BIG and
have beautifully deep velvet green leaves, often with reddish brown petioles
etc., etc.