Re: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:03:54 EST

Very interesting.  A post on another forum got me interested in this subject.  Apparently, somone living in Brunswick Georgia (your area) is growing large and healthy E. aureum up a large wall in their backyard.  Probably not the only one experimenting with this species in South Georgia, but it just amazed me about the plants hardiness, (although coastal Georgia can be quite mild..Philodendron bippenatifidum gets 10 foot or more down there.)  I never thought Syngonium podophyllum would be that hardy but if it is naturalized all the way up to Gainesville...Wow!  I am sure there are others that could perhaps be as hardy..if not more so than these examples, but like Julius said, most are not in cultivation.  From what I understand (according to Peter), there is a Rhaphidophora species from the Ryuka Islands of Japan.  Maybe one day this species or others like it could be introduced into cultivation so some of us in colder areas could experiment more OUTdoors...instead of in the confines of our Greenhouses or homes.
Michael