RE: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names/Aroid book

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names/Aroid book
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:21:59 -0500

Title: Message
Tony:

How can a plant tissue culture lab such as Oglesby Plants International protect the name of a patented plant such as Spathiphyllum Supreme if they do not trademark the name in addition to patenting the cultivar?  If not, another lab could theoretically call their own spathiphyllum cultivar "supreme" and propagate that clone without infringing on Oglesby's Patented Cultivar. Labs have to have a way to protect proprietary products and a name that they have spent many dollars to advertise in trade journals and trade shows.

Denis
Silver Krome Gardens