RE: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Sanderiana dormant

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Sanderiana dormant
  • From: John Ludwig <onesforusall@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:59:03 -0800 (PST)

Thank You Denis,

I suapected that it is dormant. All of the leaves have
dropped but the base is firm with no signs of rot.

I have it potted in a very airy mix of well rotted
bark and perlite as well as a small amount of sphagnum
moss. It is potted in an Orchid pot with plenty of
holes in the sides and botton for good airation of the
roots and growing medium.

I have watered it extremely sparingly, but upon your
advice I will curtail all watering until it shows
signs of new growth.

I am hesitant to unpot it because it has been through
a shocking experience already with the fluctuating
temperature extremes.

It has already been repotted 2 times in the past 4
months. I potted it in its current medium after I was
advised by a friend that the heavier soil based medium
it was originally planted in was not airy enough for
this species.

I undersatand that this is an extremely slow growing
species.

Thank you again Denis.

Reguards, John Ludwig.