Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus cuture and location reply

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus cuture and location reply
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:04:53 +0000

From : 	StroWi@t-online.de <StroWi@t-online.de>
Sent : 	Sunday, December 10, 2006 8:19 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus cuture and location reply

Dear Bernhard,

There seems to be a certain strain of A. paeoniifolius that has been around for many years. These plants do grow to an exceptional size, much larger than 'regular" A. paeoniifolius. There is a photo of the famous Craig Phillips standing next to one which is misidentified as being A. titanum, it appears in an early issue of Aroideana. MANY years ago this strain was actually sold as being A. titanum. The one at Farichild (from memory!) was at least 6-7ft. (2 m +) tall, the dia. of the petiole at the base maybe about 20 cm.

The Best,

Julius

Dear Julius,

thanks for the explanation.....

So, was that paeoniifolius you (poor guys had to move) of that size? I
did not realize yet that they can grow that big.

Happy growing,
Bernhard.