Re: [Aroid-l] Anthuriums... the best substrate ???

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthuriums... the best substrate ???
  • From: "S.Beetle" <sbeetle@chariot.net.au>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:44:47 +1030

Hi Franck,

I did germinate about 6 seeds of Anthuriium a couple of years ago.  My
growing success has not been very good, but I do have one left which is
growing satisfactorily.  I can't really take any credit for this, just luck
I guess.  It's currently growing in a mixture of ordinary potting mix with a
little bit of perlite added for extra drainage.

I really don't think they would grow successfully on bark like an orchid,
but you could try them in a mix of bout 50/50 potting mix and small bark.
Although they have rather thick fleshy roots similar to orchids I feel that
they need something a bit more substantial to take off in.

If your substrate is working well for you I'd say stick to it, but hearing
about other growers success or failure also gives food for thought where you
may be able to improve on your current mix in some small way.