RE: [Aroid-l] The Saola and the Araceae

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] The Saola and the Araceae
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:27:05 -0800

Dear Ted,

I know that few mammals eat aroid leaves due to calcium oxalate crystals (likened to eating a handful of tiny needles) or various chemical defenses (see http://www.ivis.org/advances/Beasley/cpt13c/ivis.pdf for example).

In the paper: Dung, V.V. et al. 1994. Discovery and conservation of the Vu Quang ox in Vietnam. Oryx 28:16, the saola is reported browsing on figs and other riparian shrubs.

I am curious as to what aroid was observed with “bite marks”, and whether they were bite marks actually from this animal.

Happy days,

Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers

Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

(530) 406-1178

166 Buckeye Street

Woodland CA 95695 USA

Invertebrate Taxonomy

● Invertebrate Ecological Studies

● Bioassessment and Study Design

● Endangered Invertebrate Species

● Zooplankton

● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Neosho, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA

www.ecoanalysts.com