Aroideana vs. Newsletter - food for thought

  • Subject: Aroideana vs. Newsletter - food for thought
  • From: "Betsy Feuerstein" <ecuador10@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:45:09 -0600

Perhaps it is for the general membership to realize that the Newsletter has become so much better and fun to read that it is OK for Aroideana to be taxonomic rather than cover both sides of the fence. I feel certain Carla, the Newsletter editor, would be delighted with offers of articles from the membership and just maybe, this is the place for little articles on more interests by amateurs to be established. I complained for a long time about the only technical aspect of Aroideana but just maybe we can be OK with it all since the Newsletter has become so much better. One could suggest that we have only one project by combining the two, but I personally like getting the Newsletter more often. Now, it may become a financial situation to contend with and that would leave an option open for less cost with one publication and one mailing per year. This is a good reason for individuals to pay their dues because we do get in a timely manner, the publications these days. I can remember when all was years behind and some gave up on the cause, but now, that is not an excuse. I know the holidays are here and paying dues is not what one wants to hear, but maybe come the first of the year, some of those who do reep the benefit of Aroid-l and shows and such will find a way to pay the dues for 2008. Think about it. We have some very dedicated individuals who do a really good job working on our behalf these days. Let's us do our part by making sure our dues are paid. Of course, if we want more subjects and our amateur members have knowledge, it is going to take those individuals to step up to the plate and offer their expertise in comments and articles so the rest of us can become more informed. It would seem to me that the Newsletter would be great place to get one's feet wet by writing on some subject that interests you. Or even to propose a question for others to answer.... even a shorter forum and less frightening. Start by letting it be known what you want and then by participating when it all gets going.