FW: Anthurium cubense/Miami

  • Subject: FW: Anthurium cubense/Miami
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:24:31 +0000

     ----- Original Message -----
     From: ExoticRainforest
     To: Discussion of aroids
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:01 PM
     Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium cubense

 Friends---

 I THINK this species was collected about 10 years (?) back, and was displayed by the then plant curator, the great Craig Allen, growing on the huge artificial ''tree'' at Fairchild, IF it is the one I am thinking of, a vining species that lives amongst the ''boots'' (petiole bases) of sabal/cabbage palms on Cuba?
 Of course it is entirely possible that with the seeming  ''shift'' into ''pretty-pretties only'' being displayed at Fairchild, this rare and should-be-treasured species might have been weeded off its perch and relegated to a back area, or thrown out with the trash in preference to a cheap, imported-from- Thailand (but pretty, mind you!) hybrid blooming Dendrobium orchid.
 There must be others in the Miami area who were the benificiaries of this collection in Cuba, and who still have this interesting, rare but relatively unattractive species in their collections??

 Julius

>>> I am trying to locate a photo of a specimen of Anthurium cubense.  A specimen that has been verified would be preferable but, if you have a good photograph showing the entire plant and any photos of the spathe and spadix I would most appreciate being able to use them with appropriate credit on my website.

     Thanks!
           Steve Lucas<<
     www.ExoticRainforest.com