Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey &

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey &
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:28:07 -0600

Good question Jason!  I'm trying to learn the same answer but that had been my premise.

Steve

mossytrail wrote:
Interesting.  I would have assumed it was from someplace in
Suriname, but apparently, not so.

On the other hand, there are valid species named after where
they were first noticed rather than from their native range.
 Like the greenhouse flatworm, Bipalium kewense.  It is from
the former French Indochina, but was first noticed by
science in Kew Gardens.

Question for ExoticRainforest: does the suffix Hort. always
mean it was a horticultural name?  Because I was under the
impression that it applies to some valid species which, at
the time they were named, had been in cultivation long
enough that their wild origins were not remembered.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas