Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 61, Issue 62

  • Subject: Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 61, Issue 62
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:47:34 -0500

Then I have an assignment for you Ty!

Everything done on the IAS site is done by a member that volunteers to take charge of the project.  We do have quite a number of aroid botanists in the IAS but there work load prevents them from taking on all the necessary tasks.  Since you have a good collection and have observed many of the inflorescences then please do take the time to photograph all of them as they produce and submit them. I'll gladly coordinate between you and Albert Huntington who takes care of the IAS website and I promise can get your new data updated.  We can very likely help you to check information with Wilbert Hetterscheid who is the botanist with more info than anyone on the genus.

If you're ready to take the project under your wings I'll gladly get you to the right folks!  We need all the volunteer help we can get!

Steve

Ty York wrote:
I live in Charlotte, Tennessee  USA

The amorphophallus area really needs updating, the IAS should have pics of both the bloom and of the plants and so many do not. Also there should be specific growing info on all 200 varieties since only a few in the world know how to grow all of them. I am on my way to collect all of them and now I have over 60 varieties and several thousand bulbs. I am guessing how to grow them as most of the bulbs came from very unfriendly growers whom do not want to give any of there time to give out advice or experience. So far I have not lost any of them and  they are all doing great. I have been growing amorphs for 4 yrs now. I really wish someone would make an updated color book before all the older folks die off and they experiece gone.
Thanks for reading this and hope some members will get the ball rolling.  Ty York
I will be at the IAS show and sale this year to meet anyone knowledgable about amorphs and hopefully purchase some new varieties that I do not have.

-

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas
n:Lucas;Steve