Amorphophallus from Madagascar - identity request

  • Subject: Amorphophallus from Madagascar - identity request
  • From: "Brian O'Brien" <bobrien@gustavus.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:05:38 -0500

Hello All,
   I bought an unidentified Madagascan Amorphophallus species in 2001 from the Huntington Botanical Garden's International Succulent Introductions program (it's not a succulent, but interesting non-succulents sometimes appear in the offerings).  The plant has since flowered.  I have a request in to the Huntington with regard to whether the species has been formally described, and thought that it would be good to send the same request to aroid-l.

Here's the relevant information, via my Flickr sites:

corm with label that contains detailed collection locality information:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rose_oxide/3439150285/

inflorescence:
entire inflorescence, with HBG tag:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/3692522882/
closer view:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/3691770493/
closest view:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/3691778729/

leaf:
entire leaf:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/3964633910/
petiole:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/3964634062/

If you have any information about this interesting plant, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post it on aroid-l and/or forward it to me.

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian A. O'Brien, Department of Chemistry, Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue, Saint Peter, Minnesota  56082  U.S.A.

Chair, Department of Chemistry, 2008-2010