Growing Aroids in Planted Ripariums

Hi All, I haven't posted in some time, but I have an update for one of my
riparium setups. I replanted the little 20-gallon tank that I have here in
the living room. Here is a shot that I got from the other night.

All of the background plants are aroids. This shot from above shows them a
little better.

The plants are, from left, Spathiphyllum 'Petite', Alocasia amazaonica
'Polly' (maybe?), Spathiphyllum ?, Diffenbachia ?, Spathiphyllum 'Golden
Glow', Cyrtosperma johnstonii.

I acquired most of these as potted houseplants from the grocery store and
places like Home Depot--hence the incomplete variety information. I
suppose that the C. johnstonii is the only thing of much botanical
interest. I also like the 'Golden Glow' Spath. because it is unusual.
These plants have all grown well in here. I am especially pleased that the
Cyrtosperma has done so well--I wondered about that one. It will
eventually become too large for this enclosure, but it is still only about
10" (25cm) tall and growing slowly. It grows a new leaf only every 4 weeks
or so. Here is a shot of one of the unusual leaves of this plant.

The little foreground plants that you can see in the shade of the aroids
include a couple of different Pilea sp. and Hypoestes sp.. There are a few
different Cryptocoryne gorwing in the underwater area. Fish include
peacock gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda), pygmy cories (Corydoras
pygmaeus) and a poecilid livebearer (Poeciliopsis prolifica). The fish
make a nice display too. I especially enjoy the little cory cats.

Devin Biggs

Aroid-L mailing list