Re: Fw: Aroid ID

Dear Denis and the group:

            Anthurium watermaliense is a Pachyneurium. It is just not your standard bird’s nest type.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Denis
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:44 AM
To: 'Discussion of aroids'
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Fw: Aroid ID

Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen this _expression_ of characteristics before many times. The folded top lobes of the leaf, the habit of the plant not quite upright not quite birdnest, the dark colors on the spadix and spathe. This does not appear to be an Anthurium species but rather a hybrid of Anthurium watermaliense and a bird’s nest type of the Pachyneurium  group.  I am not sure what group that A. watermaliense is supposed to be in but it has always hybridized with many other Anthurium groups from that Central American and Mexican Area. Hybrids of watermaliense include the massive Anthurium x Big Splash  [watermaliense x spectabile] or A. watermaliense x podophyllum and watermaliense x clarinervium as well as A. watermaliense x birdsnest form of the Pachyneurium  group.

Sorry, but  you will probably not be able to actually name this particular hybrid  as it probably is a little bastard born without knowing the other random parent in its background.

That is all.

Silver Krome Gardens, Inc