Re: What Happened To My Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: What Happened To My Seedlings
  • From: Kyle Baker <kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 14:20:24 -0800 (PST)

Mice or Chipmunks...

Mr. Kyle Fletcher Baker, MCN
Maine Zone 5

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:42 PM, DAVID LEEDY <djleedy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Every day, at least once, I look at my 6" pots containing 8 - 12 seeds.  I feel elated when a seed pokes its little nose up through the planting mix.  I have about 12 pots full of seeds, but I know every seed in each pot.

A couple of weeks I thought I noted one, but later was unable to relocate it in the pot.  For two weeks now, I have been watching the progress of a seedling, the only one in the pot to stick its nose above the planting mix, anxiously awaiting the leaf to unfurl.  When it did, three days ago, I was again elated.  Today that seedling is gone.  What happened to my seedling?

I looked around the pot to see if I could find the dead seedling.  Maybe damp off had hit it fast.  I couldn't find it.

A couple of pots later and a seedling was laying on top of the planting mix as though it was pulled up and left there.  However the planting mix, itself, was not disturbed.  What happened to my seedling?

I have noticed some small pecans and pecan shells on the surface of some of my other pots and usually the soil is disturbed.  I figured that maybe the squirrels had been hiding the pecans in the pots (certainly discover that in the spring when the pecan seed germinates and a tree grows in my pot).  But in the case of my seedlings, the planting mix was not disturbed.  Could it be that what I thought was squirrels was really birds and that they have been pulling up aroid seed?