Re: Philo in the cold correction: grandifolium not gigantium

Sue Zunino wrote:

> Does anyone know,
>
> I have a Philodendron GRANDIFOLIUM growing outside in zone 9.  This past
> week or so we have had a couple of 32 F. nights.  It hasn't shown a
> speck of damage so far and ---------snip---------  There was frost everywhere this
> morning and I suspect there will be more in the morning and possibly a
> few more mornings since it's still winter with no sight of spring yet.
HI,
I have found that almost any cover will protect a plant from freezing and
even a few degrees below freezing.  I have amaryllis and tuberous
begonias that I like to enjoy during the nice weather that follows
several frosts here in upstate New York.  I throw a large piece of
plastic or a sheet over them and they do just fine.  Since the ground
isn't frozen, it radiates some warmth and the plastic keeps it around the
plants.  It also keeps down the radiation upward to the clear sky at
night.  I have had the leaves that touch the plastic freeze but the plant
is fine.
We have petunias in the yard right now - even a couple of buds.
Craig (near Rochester NY)