Pollinating Amorphophallus konjac

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Pollinating Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@execpc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:11:30 -0600 (CST)

For the first time, I will have 2 non-clonal A. konjac blooming very
close (in time) to one another and I would like to attempt

I've reviewed the pollination site at IAS
and have learned that on any particular flower of Amorphophallus (A.
johnsonii was the example they used), the stigmas of the female
flowers will be receptive on the first day of flowering, but the
pollen of the male flowers is not released until the second day, but
by this time the females are unreceptive.  Thus, what I'll have to do
is to wait until the pollen is ready on the first plant to bloom
(assuming they don't flower simultaneously) then pollinate the second
plant to bloom on the first day of blooming - the day the female
flowers are receptive.

Does this seem likely to work?  What should I use to transfer the
pollen (a Q-tip?) and how long will the pollen be viable after
harvest?  Is there any good guide as to when the pollen is actually

Off to take a cold shower now.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin