Ruellia

The ruellia  in the pictures is a common one through tropical America - and like most things with a wide distribution, it has gone through a turbulent taxonomic history. It is widely known as Ruellia amoena or Ruelia graecizans, but I think that the latest work on it is settling on Ruellia brevifolia.
It is a nice plant to have naturalised, but it does pop its seeds around a little, so does mean some weeding in a greenhouse.
There is a form with a deep wine colored back to the leaf, as well as a plain dark green one. Birdsey would happily share the red-leaved one - I suspect with a small chuckle at what we were taking into our gardens!  I certainly miss having both him and Phil around.    derek