Re: Plants The sixth sense

  • Subject: Re: Plants The sixth sense
  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cts.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:59:34 -0600 (CST)

I beg to differ here. There are well documented cases of "saltatory
speciation" in annual plants at the xeric margins of their
distributions. These events basically occur in one or two generations
due to a combination of chromosomal translocation and founder effects
in small populations. Some known examples are morphologically distinct
and clearly isolated from hybridization with the parent species. These
have resulted from the chance presence of genes that affect gross
morphology. How many more exist that do not appear different from the
parent species but which are now on a separate evolutionary path?

BTW: I don't think this mechanism has been shown to occur in
perennials nor would it be likely to.

Phil Bunch