Re: Plants The sixth sense/Geologic time/distance.

  • Subject: Re: Plants The sixth sense/Geologic time/distance.
  • From: "julius boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:42:11 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Harry Witmore <harrywitmore@witmore.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 2:00 PM
Subject: RE: Plants The sixth sense

To all Friends,

All this discussion is great, but many that are giving their welcome
'opinions' do not seem to have the concept of how long geologic time really
is.  The whole concept of geologic time and how long the life forms being
discussed have been on our planet is hard to grasp, much like distance----
many can not conceive (unless it is taught or properly explained to them)
the distance of stars from our earth.   Untill some one (not me!) can
explain the meaning, concept and how to understand geologic time, we al
wasting the skin on the tips of our fingers debating this point.

If one wants to understand how 'natural selection' works, visit the
Galapagos Islands.

Just my silly opinion!!

>>Adam said:
Very true!!!!  We can only make "educated" guesses based on what little
evidence we have, and what seems remotely plausable, assuming the
evidence is being analyzed correctly.

I believe that understanding the fossil record is like taking 10,000 grains
of sand from a beach and then try to theorize what they all look like. If
you happened to sample a spot that had of black sand you might believe that
black sand dominated the entire beach.
I think many people forget that all this is an educated guess and may in
fact be completely wrong. I think all life adapts to conditions by a game of
chance called natural selection. It works good for me but doesn't mean I
think it's correct either.

Harry Witmore
Cloud Jungle Art<<
www.witmore.net <http://www.witmore.net>