Re: pruning Anthuriums

  • Subject: Re: pruning Anthuriums
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:29:16 -0600 (CST)

Dear Tsuh Yang,

        Yes, it is possible to cut off all leaves of an anthurium specimen
and still have a nice plant in six months or so. That´s what I did in every
plant I brought from the field. Otherwise I would have to bring more or less
20 huge leafy Anthuriums in the plane! What a suitcase I would need! The
only problem is that some species are rather slow growers. I have a plant of
Anthurium thrinax I brought from Amapá state in August 2000 and it only has
two leaves (the second one appeared two months ago)...

                Very best wishes,

                           Eduardo.

>From: Piabinha@aol.com
>To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
>Subject: pruning Anthuriums
>Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:50:12 -0600 (CST)
>
>hi all,
>
>is it possible to cut off all of an anthurium's leaves (for ease of
>shipment)
>and not cripple it?  i have an unidentified bird's nest type plant that i
>bought as a seedling at a farmer's market.  it's now huge and i wanted to
>ship or transport it but with those huge leaves sticking out in all
>directions, it is very difficult.  could i cut off all the leaves and will
>it
>sprout again from the crown?
>
>tsuh yang

Eduardo G. Goncalves