Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?

  • Subject: Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:50:30 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Celeste Whitlow <politicalamazon@charter.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 11:11 AM

Dear Celeste,

I was JUST about to reply to my friend Michael Pascall in Australia
concerning this 'varegated' Anthurium.   I have seen a TRUE varigated bird`s
nest-type anthurium grown from seed by Don Bittel, it was entered in the IAS
shop in Miami several years ago.   I have also seen birds nest Anthuriums
and another large leaf hybrid called 'Anth. lazaro' ex-tissue culture with
dasheen mosiac virus, the last two were in a Nursery near here in WPB, the
same nursery also had Philodendrons with it, and several other aroids all
demonstrating the distinctive symptoms.   The owner would not get rid of
them, he thought them attractive!
I`m glad that someone was thinking the same as I was!
Cheers Michael!

Best Wishes,

Julius

<<Do adroid species get a type of mosaic virus?   I had someone ask me
yesterday if they had a special "variegated" cymbidium.  What they had was a
cymbidium with a heavy infestation of cymbidium mosaic virus.

--Celeste