Re: [aroid-l] Typhonium specimens again

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Typhonium specimens again
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:51:07 +0000

Dear Alan and Jim,

Now I have both species (T. roxburghii and T. blumei) flowering regularly here and I have found differences. There is a good comparative picture in an article available in the net featuring T. roxburghii and T. blumei. The URL is:
<http://ejournal.sinica.edu.tw/bbas/content/1996/2/bot372-11.html>,

Here follows the key:
1. Sterile flowers upcurved; leaf blades usually longer than broad ...

1. Sterile flowers spreading and slightly decurved; leaf blades mostly as broad as long .............. T. roxburghii

My plants can be perfectly separated by this key. I have also noted that T. roxburghii is a little more robust than T. blumei when they are growing under the same conditions (substrate, temperature, etc). By the way, yes, they use T. divaricatum as synonim of T. blumei in the quoted article.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.