Re: [aroid-l] New genera on-line

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] New genera on-line
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski kk@kozminski.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:56:59 -0800

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 11:22 AM, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:

Peoples,

The IAS website has been expanded as follows:

1) Arum: to the text of the revision of Arum species in Greece and Cyprus, 4
species are now hyperlinked to picturepages. But we need a LOT more pics of
other species of the genus. WHO has them???????
I can offer photos of two species:

1) Arum hygrophilum - fairly low resolution but reasonably OK. I should have much better one in a month or two, if it blooms again. Feel free to grab the photos from:

http://www.kozminski.com/Araceae/Arum/hygrophilum.html

2) Allegedly Arum dioscoridis var. dioscoridis. These are 800x600 - if you want a different size let me know, and I'll generate them from the originals (or I can give you all 7MB of the originals if you prefer); do not bother resizing mine since they were already resized once and you'll get lower quality if you do.

I got this arum from a sale at UC Berkeley, labeled as A. dioscoridis var. luschanii, which I believe is supposed to be synonymous to var. dioscoridis. However, it looks very different from what you have put here:

http://www.aroid.org/genera/arum/dioscoridis/index.html

In my plant, the spathe resembles Alan Galloway's dioscoridis var. dioscoridis shown here:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan/plants/aroids/arums/dioscoridis/

but it has no trace of any light color in the spathe, and the cross-section looks completely different - where yours and Alan's have two wide rings of the presumably insect-trapping thingies sticking out (one ring above male flowers, another between male and female flowers), mine has only one narrow ring above the male flowers, and the thingies are much shorter. Oh, and the flower had no smell of any sort. Either I cut the thing too early (although I did give it at least a day after opening, hoping for the stench to occur), or maybe what I have is not what it was labeled as.

BTW, two gripes about your page about A.dioscoridis:

- please identify the variety pictured

- fix the page titles that show up after clicking the thumbnails; they say the photos are of Arisaema ciliatum

KK
-----
http://www.kozminski.com/
"Windows is like a Mac in the same way that a transvestite is like a real woman. It's 95 percent the same, and actually what some people would prefer, but not really the same for those who care about small differences." - John Dvorak