[aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease
  • From: "Scott Taylor" staylor@brevardparks.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:00:16 -0500

Hello: Pardon if I have already contacted a few of you directly on this
issue: I am attempting to grow Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in some
quantity.  (I live in east central Florida).  I have had problems with
(apparent) fungal injections in the tubers after harvest.  I am given to
understand that this is not an uncommon problem: they develop rotten spots
within one week, as this affliction continues until most of the tubers are
unsuitable for planting next season.  I have not used fungicides in the
past, either during the growing season or during post-harvest.  I suspect at
this point that I should do both.  Can any of you give specific
recommendation on actions to take during both the growing season and
post-harvest?  I.E. specific fungicides, methods of handling at harvest,
storage of tubers, etc.  Any advice would be well-appreciated.. it is very
distressing to watch a 8 kg. tuber rot before ones eyes!
Thanking you very much in advance.

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.
Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands (EEL) Program
Central Region Land Manager
5560 North US Highway 1
Melbourne, FL 32940
tel: 321.255.4466