Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease
  • From: Rand Nicholson writserv@nbnet.nb.ca
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:10:13 -0400

Hi Scott:

This is certainly not Florida, but I do have to store my various tender tubers over the winter out of ground and the only thing I have used is a dusting of common sulphur powder. This is applied before planting and after being dug up and dried. The tubers do not rot and varmints do not nibble at them. If a tuber is dug and there is a "soft spot" on any of them, I simply cut back to good flesh, dust the wound and let it dry. If not badly damaged the tuber will usually sprout again and form a new healthy tuber. They are stored cool and dry, except an Amorph. konjac (cleaned but untreated, sulphur being what it is), which I often use as a paperweight on my desk just to make people ask questions. Plus, it is interesting to watch the thing slowly start up at the growing point when it decides to do so.

Rand

z5b Maritime Canada (-23 C, where moose wear mittens)

Hello: Pardon if I have already contacted a few of you directly on this
issue: I am attempting to grow Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in some
quantity.  (I live in east central Florida).  I have had problems with
(apparent) fungal injections in the tubers after harvest.  I am given to
understand that this is not an uncommon problem: they develop rotten spots
within one week, as this affliction continues until most of the tubers are
unsuitable for planting next season.  I have not used fungicides in the
past, either during the growing season or during post-harvest.  I suspect at
this point that I should do both.  Can any of you give specific
recommendation on actions to take during both the growing season and
post-harvest?  I.E. specific fungicides, methods of handling at harvest,
storage of tubers, etc.  Any advice would be well-appreciated.. it is very
distressing to watch a 8 kg. tuber rot before ones eyes!
Thanking you very much in advance.

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.
Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands (EEL) Program
Central Region Land Manager
5560 North US Highway 1
Melbourne, FL 32940
tel: 321.255.4466