Re: [aroid-l] Bio-Diversity in Language (Previously "Yanks")

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Bio-Diversity in Language (Previously "Yanks")
  • From: "ron iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:50:29 -0000

Good Evening Ted

I found the missive of Randy amusing & so allowed myself a little
self-indulgent whimsy, & in feel for new coloured words have I lost the
formal arothread, if so I apologise?

"Yank" a friendly colloquialism for an inhabitant of the US?  "Pinkie" a
gentle colloquialism usually for the little finger of an infant?  A half
shut eye.....even a smiling wink?!!!!)   "Maw" (last of a ruminant's four
stomachs!) of a "Lexmark", (original slang for a computer printer? an
interesting juxtaposition of words.    Languages evolve with usage &
seemingly accelerates through IT?  Do not originalities & colloquialisms
play key roles in this evolution for good or bad?   You write "I am always
amazed that we on this list manage to be understood as well as we are" &
surely all would agree".  Yes?   And in that may we in caring about language
diversity revere & respect all Life diversity....?  Tush Tush, am I in
danger of taking myself serious with pedantry & my little whimsy run away?

Smiles & Best Wishes

Rana Gulp