Re: [aroid-l] help with pollination

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] help with pollination
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:53:59 -0500

too bad they are in the wrong order. I want the shattered glass to be
female since the chance of inheritance being maternal is great. I put it
in a cold greenhouse and the proposed dad (Leo Song) which is maybe two
days behind is now in our orchid house at 90F. So with the variegated at
55F I hope I can do it?

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> alan_galloway@ncsu.edu 02/10/04 08:19AM >>>

> My variegated A. konjac 'Shattered Glass' is flowering for the first
> time. Even the spathe is variegated rosy red and purple.
> I wanted to get seed from it by crossing it with other cultivars
(using
> it as the female) but it is about a week ahead of my other clones.
>
> Can I self-pollinate it?

Extremely unlikely

> Can I save pollen just in case I want to cross it as a male?

Yes.  Just brush the pollen into a small container and store in
the Fridge

> Any instructions on pollination are helpful.

Use to pollinate the next flowering of an Am. konjac just as the
spathe is opening up.

Good luck,
Alan