[Aroid-l] Re: Philodendron List

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Philodendron List
  • From: Baumfarn Webmaster webmaster@baumfarn.at
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:51:24 +0100

Hi Joe,
'irrefuteable' sorry I can't find the word in any dictionary. Neverthless ... The point is: our energy in preserve natural habitats should be much more valued. Encapsulate more or less single organism and protecting just these, will not (in most cases) protect the symbiosis between the organism and it sounds to me like to dispense justice (couldn't find a better word) on nature, which is valueable or interesting enough to let it survive or not. I don't think that realy "individuals can help preserve the species" without a lot of organization and planning. I think http://www.wollemipine.com/ try a better way than many others, developing over years and than try to widespread this tree to protect it. Wished on "Fitzroya cupressoides" they could do the same. But I have the impression that this management is far more we collectors can do. If there will be an aroid which is fertilzed just by one bug, can we also protect this bug to? Do we realy want to do it? If this bug need a special plant or animal to to put his eggs in, we have to protect this to. Can you see my point? In this way we protect one plant more or less, but it's then depentend of  us. Which seems to me much more worse than to be depentend from a bug. (Sorry, please take it not personally!!)
"Growing from seeds is exciting and rewarding." Yes, I can 100 percent agree with you. But what I'm missing is any source for plant-lovers on their natural fertilization and how to manage this in its most natural way. This sources (if they exists) are most times only available for botanists.
Last days I encourage a friend of mine in sardinia to look for Helicodiceros muscivorus and Ambrosinia bassi to make plantation. The last one is already endangered.
Since he life in the same area like the plants, it will have chances to success. (At least I hope so and he don't kill more plants than preotecting!)
Will a code of honor for all seed shops and seed hunters help? I fear not. Money and prestige seems always more important.

Baumfarne und mehr: http://www.baumfarn.at/treefern (http://www.baumfarn.at)

Aroid-l mailing list