Re: [Aroid-l] My method--warm pots/water for aquatic aroids

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] My method--warm pots/water for aquatic aroids
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:12:47 +0000

From : 	Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
Sent : 	Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:34 AM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] warm pots/water for aquatic aroids

Dear Dan,

Thanks for the note! I really should have 'qualified' my note by saying that what Enid did was AFTER she had followed my advice given in my article in Aroideana, "Experiencing Urospathas', where I outlined my experiences with my irreplacable aquatics being lost to exactly what you describe, the potting 'soil'/mix rotting when submerged underwater. In my article I outline my battle to overcome this, finally discovering that by using 4"-5" of rocks/crock at the bottom of the pot, and then using a mix with LITTLE 'soil' and mainly coarse sand into which I pot the plant ABOVE this layer of rock/crock, and then placing these pots in LARGE saucers of water kept no deeper than say 3", so that the 'soil'/mix is kept above and so NEVER submerged underwater. You must hand-water until you see roots emerge from the drain holes into the water, and fertilize with a weak liquid fertilizer more frequently, and change the water on a regular basis to prevent salt bulid-up. Dr. Birdsey used to submerge his pots (he used pure coarse sand as a medium) completely underwater, and depended on his fishes waste products for fertilizer.
If you can, look up and read the article.
Enid took this one step further by just using my method, but used a larger 'saucer'/container with circulating heated water, it is a fantastic method. All richer 'soil' mixes (not really soil at all!) will rot if submerged.

Good Growing,

Julius

Dear Julius,

Here on the other side of the US I stumbled upon the same solution
as Enid, perhaps 5 or 6 years ago.  In my case I'm using a Home Depot
inexpensive pre-formed plastic fish pond set well into the ground, a
submersible heater/ submersible pump inside.  The pond itself is located
inside my greenhouse- conservatory style- set amongst an in-ground
planting bed (it's too cold in the San Francisco area to sustain a  heated
pond outside year-round...).

The one thing I'd like to add here: I discovered that using any solid-
surfaced props (bricks, e.g. or even inverted clay pots) to elevate
my submerged aquatic pots resulted in anaerobic conditions and
serious root die-back at the solid surface/ pot interface.  In other
words, the greatly restricted water circulation at the bottom of the
potted aquatic plants resulted in noticeable "dead" zones within the
media profile.  I'm growing my aquatics in plastic net pots by the way,
so roots would grow out the sides only- not down through the bottom.

I've since been buying 4" ABS black plastic pipe couplings (slip x slip
type) which are very sturdy and of the correct height for me, then using
a stepped drill bit to bore numerous large diameter holes in the sides
of said couplings; 8 or so holes each.  Water (read: oxygen) now
circulates freely beneath the pots.  I suppose any strong, very open,
inert support would do the same- I merely found the couplings handy
and easy to modify.

The results have been significant and the plant's increased vigor quite
substantial.  They're growing easily twice as many roots as before, so
no surprise (this includes Lasia, Cyrtosperma and Typhonodorum).

All best,
  -Dan<<