[Aroid-l] Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina'

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina'
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:40:41 -0600

Interestingly, I have received far more response to my request for your input on the use of the term 'Santa Leopoldina' in personal email than an exchange of ideas on this board.  I have gathered as much as possible and now posted it on a permanent page on the website.  I also find it of interest that more than one person appears to feel I should just drop the subject and let the name 'Santa Leopoldina' be used for any plant in the jungle with a long blade.  Certainly, I make no pretense to be the final authority.  Anyone can call any plant by any name they choose.  Several of us are just curious why so many growers and sellers use that name for so many different plants?  And the list is still growing.  I now have 12 plants on the page and there are more to be found on the internet.

One writer pointed out since Graf's use of the term predates either Bette Waterbury or other more recent articles his plant should take precedence.  Does that mean Philodendron spiritus-sancti should not be the rightful owner?  I no longer have his books so I cannot personally comment.

Again, I invite your comments and will post anyone's comment who grants permission.  I ask you post them here so we all can read your opinions.  Of course, if you'd rather send me a personal note, feel free.

Steve Lucas