[Aroid-l] Fw: Comment - Santa Leopaldina vs Superbum

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Fw: Comment - Santa Leopaldina vs Superbum
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:42:19 -0600

Windy Aubrey in Hawaii sent this to Aroid l but for some reason the system rejected her email.  I am forwarding it on her behalf.

I'm new to this aroid1 and am enjoying this discussion Steve has brought up.  I thought I would offer up this bit of information and 5 images.
In the 70's our small backyard nursery was visited by a guy from Brazil who had worked with Mr. Burle-Marx.  That day he had planned on visiting with another collector, but the appointment was broken.  Since he was returning home the following morning, he spent the day with us and gifted us with a small cutting of a Philodendron, originally intended for the other collector.  We've had it ever since.
In the past when visitors would see it they would suggest it was Santa Leopaldina, and perhaps one of the numbered clones.  Later when Spiritus-sancti was identified some would see it and confuse it with that species.  Although this plant's growth pattern resembles the Spiritus-sancti, i.e. slow growing, self-heading, and short internodes, it is not this species.  After decades of not knowing which species this Philodendron was, a friend of mine asked Dr. Goncalves to ID it.  It was determined to be one of the Superbum complex, a species that occurs in Southern Bahia and Espirito Santo State, eastern Brazil.  I have another Philodendron superbum that is similar, but it is a much larger, huskier plant.  I was told that the Superbum complex is extremely variable.
Something else to note, in person Spiritus-sancti has a matt blade, whereas the Superbum blade exhibit a shine, specially on the new growth.

Aroid-l mailing list