big box "amorphophallus"

  • Subject: big box "amorphophallus"
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:16:52 -0600

Happy Mardi Gras.

I was at Home Depot today and took a minute to cruise the boxes of
prepackaged bulbs.  To my surprise I found one labeled "Amorphophallus".
The picture on the front appeared to be paeoniifolius, but I never could
find anything that identified a particular species.  When I turned the
package over to examine the tuber it was obviously not an Amorphophallus,
but Scadoxus.  To make matters worse, there was also a box full of Scadoxus
bulbs a couple of feet away!

These boxes of bulbs were all from van Bourgondien.  Oddly enough I get
their wholesale and retail catalogues, and while they list the usual Aroids
like Caladiums and "elephant ears", and even now list some Arisaemas at
horrific prices, I don't recall ever seeing any Amorphophallus offered.

I'd be curious if anyone else has seen these, and to know if they are
actually Amorphophallus or something else.

Russell Coker
Mobile, Alabama  (where its 70 degrees and the Japanese Magnolias are in
full bloom)
zone 8b