Re: What is this plant?

  • Subject: Re: What is this plant?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:23:42 -0800 (PST)

Dear Cyndi,

Aloha.  I have seen this plant on Oahu being sold as
houseplants at our hardware store...it was under
$10...I have not purchased one myself, since I tend
not to collect hybrids.  I have seen it sold under
Philodendron 'Fun Bun' and also Philodendron 'Funny
Bunny'...I could not tell you if these are the
same...they both look like compact selections of
Philodendron goeldii crosses to me.  The plants being
sold locally have printed labels and, other than that,
I really could not tell you the history of this plant
or if it will eventually grow as large as the species.

I remember when Philodendron goeldii was called
Thaumatophyllum sprucei... someone tissue cultured it
and it was marketed under the name Philo-scheff on
Oahu...a reference to Philodendron and Schefflera...