Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7

  • Subject: Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7
  • From: "Franck R." <fradnai@free.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:13:00 +0100

Hello Michael,
Wow, I did not think that this was possible ! Have you more informations for Colocasia and Alocasia species please ? Because I have no references on those which could pass a winter underground in zone 7. Amorphophallus, I was not sure but I thought to try but near the house to be sheltered.
For Philodendron bipinnatifidum I am very surprised because I thought that the plant was only available for zones 9 to 11 ?
I am located in the north east of France near Nancy. In the garden I have started to implant some different species to obtain a touch of exoticism and I would like to complete with some aroids. I have a good exposition to sun but a little under the wind from south/south-east for the moment (the bamboos are not well developed for the moment because it is only the second year of installation).
So if you can give me some species in particular, I would be very glad.
Thanks a lot

RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com a écrit :
Franck,   you could always try some of the more tropical genera like Colocasia, Alocasia and Remusatia.  All have a few species that can overwinter underground in zone 7.  Also a few of the Amorphophallus and I even know a few people who over winter Philodendron bippenatifidum in zone 7.  Those will dieback to the ground every winter but given a well drained spot will come back with full force in spring.
Where are you located?

Michael M.

Franck RADNAI - Climate Zone 7

Web site : http://fradnai.free.fr/