Re: Alocasia reticulata.

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia reticulata.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:37:04 +0000

> From: Steve@ExoticRainforest.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:10:31 -0600
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Alocasia reticulata??
Dear Steve,

I am not an Alocasia expert by any means, but the name rang a bell in my memory bank, sending me searching in Deni Bown`s most excellent book, her work on all aroids titled "Aroids, plants of the arum family".  See page 184, where she has almost a full page explaining this ''group'' of Alocasias, which also includes Alocasia zebrina and A. "Tigrina Superba," both seemingly closely related to your A. reticulata.   She goes on to say that your plants origins are unknown, that it is not known the wild, and that it is believed that it may be a ''sport'' which apparently was first sold by Fantastic Gardens in Florida in the 1970`s.
 I once more urge ALL Aroidophyles ''out there'' to invest in a copy of Deni Bowns book, as most of the questions asked on this list are answered in this invaluable volume!   I could not exist without mine, I know that!

The Best,

Julius Boos

>>This specimen was given to me by collector Teri Baber with the tag "Alocasia reticulata".  However, even though I've found this plant on the web with that name, I cannot find a species with the name on any of the botanical sources.  Would one of you Alocasia experts out there tell me if this is a species or possibly a hybrid?  I'm also curious if the name possibly originated in one of Graf's books.  If it is a species, what is the correct name.  And if the name Alocasia reticulata is a hybrid name can someone direct me to the source?  It appears to resemble Alocasia zebrina but I can't be certain.
> Thanks!
> Steve Lucas
> www.ExoticRainforest.com
Aroid-L mailing list