Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 11:57 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] legal plant importation

I know a few on this list have gone to South America and brought back specimens, at least rhizomes, stem cuttings, seeds, etc.  I don't know if we'll be able to do this anytime soon but I would like to make plans just in case.  It has been years since I was fortunate enough to spend time in Central and South American rain forests but my knowledge base is now improved enough I could really learn a great deal more if I were able to get into the field once again if for no other reason than to take a lot more photos.

Can those of you who know how to do this legally tell us all how to go about getting the permits from both the export country as well as the U.S.?   Of course I am not talking about collection of any CITES prohibited material.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

begin:vcard