Hardiness for Helicodiceros and Dracunculus

  • Subject: Hardiness for Helicodiceros and Dracunculus
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:38:41 -0600

	I've grown Dracunculus in my Zone 6 semi-rural Kansas City
area for over 10 years. This includes commercial tubers, a gift from
pal Steve Marak and seed grown to bloom. Only the hardest late
freeze, after they have really started to grow well, hurts them. We
routinely get below 0F and usually spend days to weeks below
freezing.  I get multiple flowers each year and the plants increase
in number.

	I have grown Helicodiceros for years in pots  wintered over
in a cool frost-free greenhouse where it is just now emerging for the
year. I also have a single small plant on a sloped bank facing west
that has grown for a few years (3 or 4) without any special
protection. Each year this plant slowly gets larger and perhaps in
some mild winter -not this one - it will grow enough to bloom.

	I have sent tubers to friends in cold climates encouraging
them to try similar exposures and test for hardiness.

	I have found this to be something of pot weed with even small
pieces of tuber sending up growth in many pots with reused soil kept
frost free.

	While I have the 'stage' - Does anyone know where one can
acquire the white/yellow/cream flowered forms of Dracunculus
vulgaris. ?

	I'd call Dracunculus totally hardy here in my area, but
Helicodiceros still unproven.

			Best		Jim Waddick
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.