The Inimitable Voice of Julius

  • Subject: The Inimitable Voice of Julius
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:05:05 -0500

Aroid Friends,

To say the least, Julius Boos has been an important part of the IAS
for many years. In case you're curious, his member webpage is:

 http://www.aroid.org/aroiders/showmember.php?select=20

Most of you know that he is currently dealing with cancer. While
convalescing he has decided to talk about and record aspects of his
life, which is filled with experiences that most of us will never
share. A new web page has been set up so everyone will be able to hear
his reminiscences. Copy this link to see the page and hear his
stories:

   http://www.tedknight.com/julius/julius.htm

The first installment talks of a boy he befriended in Ecuador who has
since grown up to great success as an artist with the Vatican. Another
is about his unique experiences with edible aroids, and his cooking an
aroid feast for the IAS conference a few years ago. These are MP3
files of five to 15 minutes each, compressed to less than 3 MB so they
will load in a reasonable time. Many more audio files are planned for
the new page.

It was so gratifying for me to hear Julius's distinctive voice on the
first recording. For those of you who have met him the experience will
be heartwarming. For any who have not yet had the pleasure, listen to
one of the most remarkable of people and hear his captivating
story-telling skill. You will immediately understand why he has such a
devoted following.

The web page also includes pictures, and more would be welcome. Please
send me any pictures of Julius that you may have, identified with
captions I hope, so I can forward them to the webmaster in charge of
Julius's site. My direct e-mail is:

  oppenhauser2001@gmail.com

Best regards,

Ted Held