Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????

  • Subject: Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????
  • From: Paul Temple <paulindr@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:55:46 -0300

Re the wonderful ...

You might be interested to know that certain quacks in the 1920s were
sure that people would suffocate themselves while sleeping in an
unventilated room, plants or no plants. There was a very colorful
individual in those days named Bernarr Macfadden who wrote of this
threat.

In cse it hasn´t lready been aid and in case it is of interest...

When I was a teenager or less, so 1970 or before, British hospitals (public and private) refused to allow patients to keep their cut flowers or potted plants in their rooms at night.  Each night the nurses studiously removed all such dangers from the rooms so that patients were not deprived of oxygen while sleeping.  This is not a rumour, risk of oxygen deprivation was the stated reason for removing the flora.  I personally heard it stated (in that era) by our beloved quacks, oops, sorry, I mean medical professionals.

So Bernarr Macfadden was not the only idiot in town.  The entire British medical profession suffered from the same madness until late in the last century!!!

Cheers

Paul