Re: Avoiding Asphyxiation by Aroid

  • Subject: Re: Avoiding Asphyxiation by Aroid
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:06:30 -0600

Ted, I've seen crazy things but this one takes the cake!

I'll use it when I get the article written!

Steve

On 2/24/2010 01:59, Theodore Held wrote:

The attached picture shows a person sleeping in a manner recommended by Bernarr Macfadden in his famous “Encyclopedia of Physical Culture”, Volume 1 (of five), 1924 (Chapter II, “How to Keep Healthy”). The person’s bed is situated in a window, opening onto a balcony, with the head immersed in fresh air and the body sheltered somewhat from the cold and elements by remaining indoors.

While Macfadden was thinking here of guarding against asphyxiation by one’s own exhalations, laden as they are with CO2, this set up could just as well serve the typical Aroid Society member worried about the dangers of sleeping in the same darkened room as an Anthurium or even (for daring risk-takers) a large Philodendron.

In his prime, mainly from about 1920 to 1935, Macfadden was widely followed in the U.S. and elsewhere and became quite wealthy by publishing fare such as this.

Best regards and wishes of good health to all,

Ted Held

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas
n:Lucas;Steve