Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 78, Issue 33

  • Subject: Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 78, Issue 33
  • From: caw ming <tks4ady@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:30:23 +0800 (SGT)

   4. Re: Amorphophallus Titanum offset? (Douglas M Ewing)

Message: 4

I have experience, if we pull, the old leave ( still green and healthy) and stem till release from bulb, then we grow it, it can continue grow and make new bulb below. i have done this with titanum and gigas.

I too, have had A.titanum produce offset tubers below ground. My experience is that young seedlings will produce multiple leaves, but they are in succession, as the old leaf is starting to die, the new leaf is replacing it. This does not result in division of the tuber. But, anytime you have more than one leaf on a tuber of reasonable size, it means you will have a tuber for each leaf when you dig the plant up after leaf death. I have seen 3, even 4.

Will also mention that producing clonal tubercles of titanum is pretty easy using leaflet cuttings.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Daniel Devor wrote:

> Jason,? This is not that unusual as you will likely here from others here.? Mine have done it multiple times, in fact one of mine has 2 extra leaves at
> the side of the main growth now that just went dormant so unless momma consumes them if they are still attached I will have 3 rather than 1 when I
> unpot.? Good luck with yours,
> ?
> Dan
> Gibsonia, PA
> ?
> ?

Doug Ewing
Botany Greenhouse Manager
Dept. of Biology
Box 351800
24 Kincaid Hall, University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-1800
ph: 206 543-0436

Aroid-L mailing list

End of Aroid-L Digest, Vol 78, Issue 33