Re: Philodendron sp., Atlantic forest, Northeastern Bahia, Brazil

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron sp., Atlantic forest, Northeastern Bahia, Brazil
  • From: Johannes Moonen <emeraldjunglevillage@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:51:22 -0300

Dear Leland,

I have slides of both Saxi and Leal in nature at the Chiapas Diamantinas in Bahia.

I will digitalize and sent them to you.

Tchao,       Joep

On Feb 6, 2011, at 7:14 PM, brian lee wrote:

Dear Alex,

I focus on Philodendron subgenus, Meconostigma...this one is a member of the subgenus, Philodendron.  Marcus Nadruz or Eduardo Goncalves would be the best to comment on this taxon.  However, it looks like it has affinities to Philodendron melinonii of the Amazonian regions.  The only thing that is atypical is the long internode of the younger growth.  I have seen this happen if the seedling is found wedged in the persistent leafbases of palms and the internodes can elongate.  This particular plant looks like an immature of Philodendron melinonii.  It may be something totally different as your location is so far south from the natural distribution range of this species.  At any rate the fibers and certain details remind me of this.

On a Meconostigma question, could you photograph and post pictures of Philodendron saxicola and Philodendron leal-costae , found in Bahia?  If you run across any Meconostigma in Bahia, like Philodendron williamsii....any habitat photos would be very interesting to see.